DescriptionManager, Software Engineering Bogota, Colombia
*ONLY CVs SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED*
The Opportunity: We’re looking for a Manager, Software Engineering to help us push the boundaries of what education can offer through the power of technology. Education is our passion, and our team members bring that to work each day as they aim to advance learning in every region of the world. Blackboard is the world\'s leading education technology company, providing dynamic products and services to the global education community. We’re focused on driving innovation in EdTech and working with our clients to create a smarter learning environment.
At Blackboard, we believe in the power of a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. As we expand globally, we are committed to making diversity, inclusion, and belonging a foundational part of not only our hiring practices, but who we are as a company.
For more information about Blackboard and our career opportunities, please visit www.blackboard.com.
In this role, you will be a part of the Blackboard Platform team, which helps to reshape the culture, architecture, and direction of the company’s Product Development organization. This is a driven, creative, and energetic team that works in a flexible and agile fashion to deliver world-class products to the education market. By joining this team, you will become a core contributing member to Blackboard’s EdTech Platform initiative. This future state platform will seamlessly and uniquely deliver a revolutionized learning experience through innovation, continuous delivery, and architectural integration.
As Manager, Software Engineering, you will be responsible for ensuring the quality of your Agile development team. You’ll deliver high-quality visual, functional, and operational experience to our customers and users while recruiting and motivating your team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Directly managing and mentoring software development engineers
- Working alongside your team as a hands-on contributor
- Advocating for agile and test-driven development methodologies while delivering on all committed projects
- Working with Product Management, Design, Development, and Operations to negotiate and offer alternatives on risky/complex/expensive requirements and negotiate priorities and timelines
- Providing timely and transparent communication that highlights both successes and challenges
- Collaborating with other members of the Product Development staff to develop a true sense of shared responsibility and energy for the entire product, from conception through deployment
- Recruiting, mentoring, organizing, motivating, and coaching a team of software engineering professionals. Assigning projects and arranging training to advance the career of everyone within the team. Defining and monitoring goals. Driving the organization’s efforts for improving the team reporting to you
The Candidate: Required skills/qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
- Several years of industry experience
- 1+ years as a hands-on team lead or a software engineering manager
- Comfort with leading and working with teams of developers and testers, helping them establish a culture of quality, productivity, and innovation
- Ability to learn and contribute towards complex architectures to facilitate team planning, development, and investigation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Comfort with complex software development projects
- Innovative thinker capable of communicating multifaceted technical concepts
- Ability to thrive in an aggressive, fast-paced environment with evolving requirements
- Fluency in written and spoken English at CEF B2 level or above
- Track record of achieving high-quality software product releases and meeting commitments
- Interest in and passion for driving both functional and experiential quality
- Experience influencing the practices of teams and individuals including design, engineering, and operations
Blackboard has an office located in Bogota, Colombia as a hub for the LAC market.
Located in Capital Towers center in the financial district
- Excellent and secure area to eat lunch, have a walk, or dine after office hours
- Benefits in prepaid medicine, dental plan, and wellness allowance
- Easy access to public transportation close to two important avenues, Carrera 7 and Calle 100
- Free parking for employees and paid parking for visitors
- Multiple private spaces for virtual and face-to-face meetings
- Regular events like bring your dog to work day and ping-pong, foosball, and Mario Kart tournaments
- Sodexo card provided for employees
- Daily budget to spend on beverage vending machines
- Learn more about the Bogota office culture by checking out our Facebook page
- Option for remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management\'s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, protected military/veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
Req ID: 483